A caretaker named Billy Spaulding lived in a hut on the island.
During this period writers and naturalists were also permitted to camp in the cabin on Floyds Island Hammock.
At least two Timucuan villages and Spanish missions were located in or near the swamp between 16.
William Bartram's Creek legend, which tells the story of princesses of the sun on an island in the center of the swamp, is probably rooted in stories of the Timucuan settlements.
Indians occupied the Okefenokee during the late Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian periods of Georgia prehistory. Sand mounds were constructed in the swamp during this period.
The major occupations were during the Weeden Island and Savannah periods, around A. Spanish records between 16 refer to Okefenokee as Laguna de Oconi (Lake Oconi).
They leased the property to the Hebard Cypress Company, which built a large sawmill near Waycross and constructed a railroad to the northwestern rim of the swamp in 1909-10.
The Okefenokee was a Creek hunting ground in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
Briefly in 1836 and for most of 1838 the Second Seminole War in Florida extended into the Okefenokee. They burned down a Seminole village on an island that they subsequently renamed Floyds Island, for Charles Rinaldo Floyd.
The Atlantic and Gulf Railroad from Savannah was built a few miles north of the Okefenokee by the start of the Civil War (1861-65).
Another railroad, from Brunswick to Albany, passed north of the swamp in 1870.